Albendazole is an orally administered anthelmintic drug. Chemically, it is methyl 5 (propylthio)-2-benzimidazolecarbamate. Its molecular formula is C12H15N3O2S. It has the following chemical structure:
Albendazole is a white to yellowish powder. It is freely soluble in anhydrous formic acid and very slightly soluble in ether and in methylene chloride. Albendazole is practically insoluble in alcohol and in water.
Uses of Albendazole
Albendazole is an anti-parasitic. It is used to treat infections of tapeworms or other parasites. This medicine is also used to treat cystic hydatid disease of the liver, lung, and peritoneum, an infection caused by dog tapeworms
Albendazole is used in certain patients with the following infections:
- Capillariasis : It is a disease caused by nematodes in the Capillaries genus
- Cutaneous larva migrans : It is Skin disease in Humans
- Common roundworms: This infection is common in areas where food and drinking water aren’t safe and where they’re exposed to human fecal matter.
- Hookworms : A parasitic nematode worm which inhabits the intestines of humans and other animals
- Pinworms: It is a parasitic worm. It is a nematode and a common intestinal parasite or helminth, especially in humans
- Strongyloidiasis : It is a human parasitic disease caused by the roundworm
- Tapeworms : Tapeworm infection is the infestation of the digestive tract by a species of parasitic cestodal flatworm
- Trichostrongyliasis : Its species are round worms
- Whipworms : The human whipworm is a round worm that causes trichuriasis
Side Effects of Albendazole
- Allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives
- Changes in vision
- Fever, chills, sore throat
- Unusual bleeding, bruising
- Hair loss
How to use albendazole Tablet:
- Take Albendazole by mouth with food.
- If you have trouble swallowing the tablet whole, it may be crushed or chewed with a little water.
- Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Albendazole.
Lasa Laboratory Pvt Ltd Quality manufacturing of Albendazole in Mumbai India.